Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Tiger Basketball Players

So, according to various sources, the Tigers this year are supposed to go all the way (Or at least very far) this year. It's really weird that I can see these guys in my classes or walking down the same sidewalk as me, then later that night watching them slam dunk on a basketball goal.

One of my friends says he has Derrick Rose, an incredible Freshman who supposedly may be going professional next year, in his class. He said that Rose is kind of quiet in class but is in no way rude or anything.

This got me to thinking. I wonder what it's like to be one of them. They are famous enough to recognize and famous enough to request an autograph, but are they famous enough to feel the annoyance of fans adoring them? Probably. I heard today there were tours going around the U of M and a lot of the people on the tours ran after a couple of the basketball players just trying to get to their next class. I wonder if they ever thought they would get annoyed by fans.

There is obviously a lot of pressure on these guys. ESPN picked this team to be #1 this year; not to mention a whole city is supporting them and hoping they do well. Also, I got to thinking. In professional sports, if you lose a game you can seclude yourself in your huge house and just lie low until next game or practice. However, college sports athletes still have to walk to and attend class with fellow students. With a prestigious reputation like the tigers, it may be extremely awkward to walk to class if you just lost a major game knowing everyone is talking about how close the game was, but obviously trying to avoid the subject if a basketball player comes near.

(More going to be added later.)

3 comments:

Poon said...

That's weird to think about being in a class with Rose. Everyone would always be whispering about him and how he did in the last game. Unfairly criticizing him, and over analyzing him.

That would suck.

cline said...

I've always been disinterested in basketball, but once I saw Rose play, I was actually watching the game instead of the backs of the heads of the guys in front of me. He is quite amazing! But I'm sure that the publicity sucks.

Daniel Hernandez said...

yeah i see what your saying it has to be hard to balance between school and athletics and throw mild fame into the pciture and it turns into hell. but yeah im sure its easier to deal with it when you actually live it.